Teaching Philosophy

"Education is not the filling of a bucket but the lighting of a fire." -William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Student Teaching Assignment

I finally received my student teaching assignment! I'm very excited about getting to work in the 3rd grade at Jerry Junkins Elementary in Dallas. I've been trying to do as much research as I can on my new school. Here is what I found out:

Junkins is a school that emphasizes Science & Technology. The mission of Junkins is "to provide a diverse, safe, and supportive learning environment, in partnership with the community, ensuring all students gain academic and social learning in keeping with high standards and expectations." The school is named after Mr. Jerry Junkins, former graduate of SMU and advocate for education. He helped create the model for the Head Start Program in Dallas.

In searching for the school on Google, I found 
out that this years winner of the Annual Gardere  MLK Jr. Oratory Competition came from Jerry Junkins. You can watch the video here:



No comments:

Post a Comment